Wednesday 18 July 2018

"I think we ought to live happily ever after."

Diana Wynne Jones was the author of many books, but arguably the most recognisable was Howls Moving Castle, the book-turned-movie, directed and brought gorgeously to the big screen by Hayao Miyasaki of the Studio Ghibli.

Much to my disappointment, I can't remember when I first saw the film...I just remember falling head over heels for it. I watched it over and over when I bought the DVD; it was literally on every time I was in my room doing something or just relaxing. Sort of like Spirited Away and Pokémon (and Digimon!), it will remain a part of me, long after my DVD has completely worn out (it already skips and jumps on certain parts from being played so much...)

Studio Ghibli, as always, made such a beautiful and memorable film. But for now, this is all the limelight they'll get in this blog post.

The book is so different than the film, but in a way that it's like having two separate stories with the same beautiful, lovable characters - it's a joy to watch the film and read the book and feel like they go hand in hand together, rather than rage pointlessly about what was changed, left out and added.

I think I'm finding it hard to express my love for this book - I was going to review it, but I can't find the words at the minute. I'm completely out of sorts and sad, so I will say what I can for now, and perhaps return to the book when I'm feeling a little better...

We all would like to leave something behind to be remembered by when we die. If you can, please take the time to read Howls Moving Castle, or any of Ms Jones' books, and join me in enjoying the imagination of someone who wrote to allow us to escape to somewhere and live happily, if only for a few chapters a day.


Calcifer the Fire Demon, by me a few years ago...

DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment