Wednesday 11 January 2012

The Fault in Our Fangirls.

It's a weird feeling, being a huge fangirl for an author. I mean, if I love a band, you can go to their concerts and scream and wave banners like an idiot with all the other fans, but often the experience of going to get the first print run of a favourite authors new book is a lonely experience.

Yesterday, John Greens new book The Fault in our Stars was released worldwide, and boy was I excited. I didn't preorder it [I don't know why!] so I was a little panicky about missing out on the signed copies.


But I guess I underestimated the Nerdfighter [don't know what that is? Click here!] presence here in Belfast...which is a little sad, I guess. Then again, most fans here probably preordered it...Anyway! As you can see from the iPhone photo above [yep, I joined the iPhone club! More on that soon] I picked up a copy! I had to ask for it because it actually wasn't even out on the shelves yet, but it wasn't an easy request. It went something like this...

Me: "Hi, do you have the new John Green book, The Fault in Our Stars?"
Cashier: "We should have ten copies in the delivery, let me run up and get them..."
Me: "OH! Can you please check if they are signed?"
Cashier: "Sure."
Me: "And also! Also, can you check if any of them have an extra little doodle on them? John Green signed all of the first run, but his brother also doodled angler fish on a few and his wife also doodled some people! Can you check them and can I buy the one with an extra doodle, if there is one?"
Cashier: "Er....yes?"
Me: "THANK YOOOOU!"

Pretty sure I terrified the poor guy. It was very weird when he brought the book down from their storeroom - I wanted to jump around and squeak like the excited fangirl I was but people were looking at me weirdly already. I bought the book and ran out, smiling all the way. I can't wait to read this book ^______^!!


John Green means a lot to me, even though we've never met. That's the weird thing about authors - they end up speaking to you through their stories, giving you comfort when you need a little escapism, and they don't even know who you are ;)

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool!
    Yeah, it is quite a solitary thing. But still awesome!

    What I find uncomfortable though, is making your way home with a signed book in your purse. I get so paranoid and feel the need to check if it's still there and if it's safe. Granted I've only had the experience twice;)

    Come to think of it I hardly ever buy a newly released book. I almost went to get the new Murakami, but it's HUGE in hardcover.

    Hope you're doing well, though I am guessing you are, you have to be, with a new awesome book to read;)

    ReplyDelete