Monday 20 June 2011

Homebird.

If you were to say to me that I had to spend a year alone on any island in the world with all the supplies I needed (and perhaps my camera, a Kindle and a Wifi connection for my phone...), I would pick Ireland every time. I may be the tiniest bit biased, given that it's where I live and have done for my entire life, but I don't need to listen to all the tourist advertisements or my American friends wishing they could visit this beautiful island to known that Ireland is one of those rare, legend-filled places -- and the best parts are a two-hour bus journey away for me!

My friends took me to Ballycastle for my birthday, a small, gorgeous town in County Antrim that I spent twelve summers in as a child. I missed it so much!!



You know you've reached the countryside when tiny, adorable ponies frolick in fields of buttercups!

About ten minutes after hopping off the bus into Ballycastle for a few days holiday I felt like I was home and the worries of the city were a distant dream. It's a combination of sea air, clear light and familiar yet astonishing views (oh, how I sound like those adverts I hate!) that make you go "Nothing else matters more than going to a field and flying a kite, RIGHT NOW!"

I actually did just that, for about an hour. Woo!

Though I was with my group of amazing, hilarious friends for most of the two days and had so much laughter and fun, the most memorable moment for me was staying up until four in the morning, pulling boots and a hoodie over pyjamas, slinging my camera around my neck, grabbing my girlfriend Ren and hiking up to the edge of the cliffs (yes, right to the very edge!) just to see the sunrise.

Almost...

5 AM Face.
Ignore what very much looks like my "Holy crap, I am pooped!" face - it's a happy face indeed!


I really hope everyone has a place like this that just blows a strong breeze through the mind and clears out all the cobwebs, even if it's just for the time it takes for the sun to come up...

SilverCliffs.

Clare x

P.S. I've never been to any other islands...but I think once I can travel, I'll always come home. I belong here!

1 comment:

  1. That really is a gorgeous place! I've been to Ireland once, years ago, and thought it was beautiful too.
    That pony is so cute! I don't particulairly love horses, don't dislike them either, but these really look like they could win your heart.

    ReplyDelete